At 04:27 PM 1/6/2008, you wrote:

<cut> My HF antenna at present is an inverted V configuration hung from one of the trees at about 40 feet off the ground (also the yard is not level, there are several slopes) and the end points tied to another tree on one side of the yard and a fence on the other side. The antenna was cut for 40 meters. The feed line is an unknown length of 300 ohm television twin lead coming into the attic then through a closet to the radio.

Would the K2 with an internal ATU be able to work with this antenna/feed line combination?

Thank you,
Jim  KD5VXH

JIm,

I have had very good performance from an inverted V hanging from an oak tree at 30 feet to the center with my K2. My inverted V is actually a three band unit with wires cut for 40, 30 and 20 meters all fed at the center with 50 ohm coax. I used an antenna analyzer to trim the wires, starting with the 40 meter section first, for minimum SWR at my operating frequencies. I had very little problem getting a match for each band and I did not need an antenna tuner. The 40 meter section can also be used for 15 meters but I found that the match was up near the top of the band and an antenna tuner (I use the KAT2) is needed to prevent the K2 from cutting back on the power due to the higher SWR at the lower end of the band.

Larry AG4NN