OK... I was gonna hold off commenting here, but NOW Bill, Rick and Vic have weighed in I've gotta do the same... <G>

K2VCO wrote:
I had quite a bit of a problem *recording* messages because of a similar phenomenon. For example, the K3 understands my call as K2 VCO. The extra space that I send between the 2 and the V is more than a letter space (apparently) but less than a word space. The K3 records it as a word space, so when I play it back it sounds like that. When I tried to correct this, I ended up sending less than a normal letter space, the K3 did not understand my sending and recorded nothing!

I had SIGNIFICANTLY more problems recording using the original K3 algorithms than I do now. Now, unless I make a keying error (e.g. wrong character, etc.) I can always record a 'clean' message... before, I had to make MANY(!) attempts.

Obviously I must be doing something wrong... <G>

Not sure if a 'real time load' feature could be added without significant complication, but that might be the only way to make some folks happy. Of course, we'll NEVER be able to satisfy everyone...

One way to handle this would be to use "1/4 letter space" as the basic spacing element. Then recording, decoding, and playback would be closer to real-time.

Can you 'splain this a bit better Vic? Never heard of this method of timing... always worked on the baud method.

Tom