Prior to buying my (ultra-quiet) Mac G5, I experienced a significant amount of noise from my PC....doing a search with a handheld shortwave radio in AM mode revealed it was primarily emanating from the AC power cable area.

Clip-on ferrite chokes on the power cable were completely ineffective.

I dismantled the computer, opened up the power supply and replaced the power supply input connector (unfiltered) with a filtered one purchased from Digi-key and the problem went away! Sorry, but I do not have the part number...they are available from Digi-key, Mouser, Newark, etc, etc.

In the interest of maximizing profits the manufacturer omitted a filtered input connector and let me instead buy it aftermarket.

John, N6AX

Alan D. Wilcox wrote:

Hello,
I gave away the feeble old PC I had by my radio equipment and replaced it with a newer one ...

Now I have S9+ noise wiping out 20 and 30 meters.

Using same keyboard, mouse, monitor; just the PC in a new case. Evidently it has a noisy switcher supply in it. Tried 110V in-line filter, also different 110V house circuit, but still have noise. Grounds don't help. Don't happen to have a box of toroids for chokes.

I've got an old PC supply or two in the junk box, but hoping something else might fix.

Any thoughts on an easy fix?

Thanks,
Alan

Alan D. Wilcox, W3DVX