When the headphone jack fails, no external audio, no external speaker audio. Doesn't sound like what you had, if you were able to get a hiss out of the speaker.

Dave Wilburn
K4DGW
K2/100 - S/N 5982

Tom Z wrote:
I was working a contest this weekend and at one point the audio in my
K2 just stopped working. No audio on headphones or internal speaker.
At full volume I could hear a slight trace of noise on the speaker. I
reset power, and the audio came back.

I guess I should have checked the external speaker jack, but in my
panic, I did not.

Does this sound like it could be the infamous headphone jack problem?
When that does fail, does the external audio still work? I can not
risk a failure during a contest, so I wonder if I should replace it.

73,

Tom KG3V