If the R8 has been discontinued, then that is a recent action. The last time I checked various dealer websites, the R8 was still for sale. Cushcraft had them on display last year at Dayton. I wonder if you aren't confusing it with the R7, which has been discontinued for several years--at least 7 years or more.

Dave W7AQK

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Person" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Phil Kane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Elecraft Discussion List" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 8:40 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K2/100 + KAT100 + Cushcradt R8 Vertical

Phil,

The R8 has been discontinued for some time so I assume you have a line on a used one. There has been some issues with getting parts for the older Cushcraft verticals. I've had most of the so-called no-radial verticals and the Cushcraft is more or less the middle of the pack. I found the GAP Titan to be superior. Not too great on 80 but decent performance on the other bands. My current choice of these types is the Hy-Gain AV-640 and AV-620. The AV-620 is available from R&L Electronics for $269 - which is, in my book, a bargain ( I have no association with them - just passing on my observation). The AV-620 covers 20 through 6 meters and is very well built. You can download the manual from Hy-Gain to get a good sense of the antenna.

73, Doug -- K0DXV