My K2 developed this same exact problem. Extracting the felt bits put everything right.

73,

Steve Kercel
AA4AK

At 11:36 PM 1/24/2008, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
David, G3TJP wrote:

I'd been unhappy with the stiffness of my K2's rotary encoder for a while,
so when a replacement unit was provided by Scott, I thought it was time for
a makeover of my fully loaded K2/100.

-----------------------------

Check that stiff encoder very carefully. It may be fine AFTER you carefully
unwind some bits of the felt from the bearing and it'll be a FB spare.

My old K2 developed that problem several months after I built it. Looking
closely I could see some bits of the felt hairs caught in the C-ring and
bearing. I carefully tugged gently on each hair with tweezers while turning
the shaft in the direction needed to unwind each one and, after removing
several of them suddenly the encoder ran free again.

Then I used a bit of "superglue" seal the inside edge of the hole in the
felt washer so other threads wouldn't get entangled and replaced it. I never
had the problem again.

Ron AC7AC