Hi Parker
I think it depends on the noise source.  If it comes from one
direction, a loop antenna can be rotated to place its null on the
noise source, improving the signal to noise ratio for the signals
coming from other directions.

On the other hand, if your noise is more pervasive, and turning
the loop won't reduce it, the loop isn't going to do anything
for you.  You might as well stay with your main antenna.  One
thing you can try that helps sometimes is use an existing
dipole for reception on 160m or 80.  As horizontally
polarized antennas, they will have a different noise pickup than
the inv. L.  Sometimes this can make a useful difference.

All receiving loops I know of have less signal pickup than any
full size antenna, such as your inv. L.  Larger loops may get
by without use of a preamp other than what is already in your
receiver.  However, the lower in frequency you go, the less
signal pickup the loop will have and will probably benefit
from a preamp.  Homebrew preamps are easy to make, and an
Altoids tin makes a great housing.  I've built several that way,
and they all do just what is needed.

By all means, give a loop a try.  They are easy to make and
inexpensive.  A great cheap experiment.  If it seems to do a
useful job, then by all means make a more permanent version.

Good luck and 73
Bob N6WG