Dohn wrote,

I am wondering what the groups opinions are about the best end fed antenna
lengths would be for taking my newly built KX1 mobile?

Dohn,

a year or more ago I posted an article reporting my results with a (approx) 50
foot wire.

Just re-capping here: I bought a nominally 50 ft roll of speaker wire from
Radio Shack and un-zipped it to make two wires. When I measured it each wire
was actually about 51 ft long - though I doubt the exact length is critical. In
any case, I have used this antenna many times in many locations with very good
results.  I put one 51 ft length up as high as I can get it, usually as a
sloper from my operating position to a tree (I usually tie some nylon masons
twine to a half-filled water bottle and sling it as high as I can over a nearby
tree) and the other 51 feet is layed along the ground as a counterpoise.
Direction of the ground wire doesn't seem to matter. The KX-1 ATU does a fine
job of matching this, and as I said, results have been great. By the way, if
you're in an upper-story motel/hotel room, it also works to have the antenna
wire going out the window to a bush in the parking lot (sloping downward) and
the counterpoise wire just hanging downward from the window to the ground and
then layed along the ground. I have fond memories of a front desk clerk near
Hazelton, PA calling up to our 3rd floor room and saying, "may I ask what that
string is that's going from your room window to the parking lot?" (I worked
France with that "string")
73
Ray K2HYD
KX-1 #608