Dear Mr. Holtman.
The K2 for ssb use is a kit rig that isn't finished when last component is soldered.
It take some tweeking of filters and on air play to fineadjust this beauty.
Don's approach is a good start.
The mic is of high importance.
Myself wasn't to happy for a long time and I didn't bother to put my review on eham
before I have played the rig for some time.
I got normal reports on standard BW with MH2 mic.
No wow! reports , but OK.
I then decided to make the change to 2,6 khz bw and had to take my playtime all over again.
For me that was the fun part.
After some play the reports changed.
It now was : " Is that a K2? I wouldn't have guessed! You sound like any other rig and I can hear the heil element. "
The heil has a special sound that is OK for casual ragchew and great for DX.
I've heard some cheap mic on air and that can work both ways , but the ones I've heard isn't good.
Cheap PC headphones and so one.
And don't throw away those qrp reviews.
SSB sound the same with or without the KPA100 so you should take them seriously.
But one thing I think we can agree on.
The K2 will never be a substitute for K3. ( Think that's one of the reasons they designed the K3). But when propperly set up , you will make the qso and not one will ask you what the heck your using.
Take in mind that many reviews on eham are premature.
Both the good and the bad ones.

Tom LA1PHA
K2/100 3829 2,6khz fully loaded.

----- Original Message ----- From: "DW Holtman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>