I can guess at 2 possibilities - one is that there was something sticky on the shell of that mono plug which adhered to the wiper in the paddle jack - it only takes a bit of something like the adhesive from electrical tape to do that. The second is that somewhere along the dash signal line, you have a bad solder connection that made contact when it was touched. If you have trouble again, I suggest checking the schematic for everything connected to the dash signal (including connectors) and re-flow the solder.

73,
Don W3FPR

MGFoster wrote:
I turned on the K1 & tested to see if the problem still existed - it
did.  Turned off the K1 & unplugged, & exposed the bottom of the RF
board.  Powered up & inserted a bent component lead into the Dits &
Ground - OK.  The same on the Dash & Ground - OK!  Plugged the paddles
back in & it worked OK.

OK, so what happened there?

Thanks,