W4TV continued:

> CI-V also allows for multiple controllers, though I
> have yet to see any other application that appears
> to properly implement its CSMA/CD protocol.

There is no carrier switching or collision detection in the
CI-V protocol.  The data packets do not carry any checksum
or sequence number both of which are required for CSMA/CD.
CI-V is a pure aloha protocol - if the packet gets lost or
damaged the originator must resend if it does not get
the expected reply.

CI-V does have collision detection, as every device can
see the serial bus as it sends.  That also makes a
checksum unnecessary.  It is intended that a controller
resend a command if a collision is detected, so there is
no need for sequence numbers, either.

"Carrier sense multiple access with collision detection"
does not mean any more than that - but what I was
responding to was the assertion that "there is not a single
radio that is capable- in either hardware  or software - of
reliably servicing two different radio control applications".
Maybe there isn't, especially if one insists on not working
with the radio as the manufacturer intended.

73 & HLNY, VR2BrettGraham.