On Thu, 2008-02-21 at 13:50 +0000, Charles Harpole wrote:
> My K3 is a super CW rig and a poor SSB rig..... at least to this date....
>

> 1.  AGC blasts from weak to strong sig... does not smooth out the audio enuf.

You can adjust this acg response if you want flatter ,  refer to manual
and adjust to personal taste from flat (limiting ) like to the icom 7800
to very rounded Like some k2's
there is a lot of control over how the AGC works

> Vy short tone sigs pierce my eardrums.
> No excuse for this problem.

What problem, explain please?

> A fix, pse???

have you tried calibrating the PLL?

> 2. Tighter than 2.20 and the SSB audio really degrades.
> This is either a great filter system or my earlier rigs'
> (Mk 5 etc.) nice 1.8 INRAD filters were not that sharp.
> Below 2.00 on ssb and the voices lose too much of
> their intelligibility, sad to say, because I need
> 1.8, or so, to kill the guy 2 kc above.

 select lo-hi cut and adjust, it's fine, I regularly use 1.8 or less on
SSB here

> 3.  Many ssb sigs sound harsh and too sharp even
> at 2.8, especially when 5 or more are calling at
> the same time.  Adding bass with the cut knob helps some.
> Using Heil ProSet Plus.

use high and low cut on the filters, perhaps Taylor the RX EQ to suit
your ears.

> 4.  NR at any setting degrades weaker ssb sigs beyond
> usefulness.  Why is this?

noise noise reduction, in DSP can not, (no mater what code is used)
deliver the impossible and render readable an SSB sig that is brueid in
the noise. the K3 noise reduction is the best I have heard on any radio
to date but I still prefer it off most of the time and let the brain do
it

> And, the temporary info that appears BRIEFLY in the
> vfo B window is too brief for me.
> A fix, pse????

NO Fix please! the delay is right for me !

I came to the K3 from the Icom 7800, the 7800 is for sale I know which
one I prefer to listen to.

73
Brendan EI6IZ

--
Don‘t complain. Nobody will understand. Or care. And certainly don‘t try
to fix the situation yourself. It‘s dangerous. Leave it to a highly