Hi Ken:

CONGRATULATIONS PAL!  Nice catch.

And yes... I guess the power lines out to Ducie must be 'very clean'
indeed... heheh!

Tom

At 03:09 02/21/2008, Ken K3IU wrote:

After reading Tom's (N0SS) email yesterday morning, I became motivated to try and snag Ducie Is. on 160m. My antenna is an 85 ft doublet CF with window line up abt 32 feet on one end and 20 feet on the other. I've never had much success on 160, but I tied the 2 legs of the feedline together, connected it to one side of the balun, and ran a short piece of wire from the other balun connection about 8 feet over to my outside ground rod, and fired up the K3. It's a cold morning here (abt 20F), and between my furnace running and normal atmospheric noise, all I heard was noise. When the furnace stopped, WOW! There he was. He was listening "Down 3" so I set up VFO B, split, and fired away. Got him... second try (0856Z). I am amazed. Those guys are GOOD! It must be awfully quiet out there in the middle of the Pacific.

Wheeee, Indeed! Try it... it might work for you, too.

73,
Ken K3IU
Portsmouth, RI