To: "'Dave Andrus'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 1:25 AM
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] K1, KX1,K2 antenna tuner high-impedance feed capabilites

I've used an end fed dipole (i.e. half wave wire) a lot. I'm currently using
an end fed 80 meter dipole in my fixed-station setup. Such an antenna
presents quite a high impedance at the end, of course. That impedance is
outside the range of the KX1, and probably the K2, although I haven't tried
it on the KAT2 tuner for the K2. However, you don't have to be very far off
of exactly 1/2 wavelength for the tuner to find a match.

Normally, I use a link-coupled tuner when feeding such antennas.

As you probably know, the closer you can get the antenna to exactly 1/2
wavelength at the operating frequency, the lower the ground return losses.
Indeed, at 1/2 wavelength long it doesn't really need a ground except that
without an RF ground the rig will tend to "float" up to the high impedance
so you will have "rf on the rig". For that reason, it's a very good idea to
plan on some sort of ground: 1/4 wave counterpoise, etc. The antenna is
efficient without it, but the ground will help hold down the RF voltage on
the rig.

The KX1 tuner has the most limited range of all the Elecraft tuners to date.
That's because of the very small space available for coil/capacitor
combinations on the tiny board inside the KX1 case.

Ron AC7AC