Hi All,
    My K2 is serial no. 4688. I have just purchased and built the latest spec
KPA100 unit for it. The manual for the KPA100 suggests modifications are
required for K2's with serial nos 4059 or lower. As my serial number is higher,
I assumed all would be well. Firstly the KPA100 performs well on all bands
using CW mode. Recently I tried SSB and found that the PA is going into
oscillation when on 40m.

Setting the power out to 20W and speaking into the microphone produces 100W
output peaks accompanied with a low buzzing sound in the speaker on audio
peaks. Varying the power control brings it back into line only to start
misbehaving again after a few more words are spoken or if the mode is cycled
back round to LSB or you switch off then on again. This happens when connected
to a dummy load with no other connections other than the mike and power supply.
I changed out the power supply, but the same problem exists.

I have done an extensive search of the internet to try and find solutions:
1) I have ensured gnd continuity from the KPA100 to every part of the K2
chassis.
2) I covered the hole in the shield near the pl259 with copper tape and ensured
gnd continuity.
3) I saw the article about installing the 270 ohm metal film resistor to
increase Zin, but my K2 circuit is newer than the authors and I haven't seen an
updated version.
4) I have ensured the 2 lugs from the antenna socket to the shield are good.
5) I have removed the KPA100 from the K2 entirely and the same problem exists.

Does anyone know the solution or recognise these symptoms?

Douglas Maxwell
GM0ELP