Alexandr Kobranov wrote:
is there some support for request for "AUTO CW ON/OFF" firmware function as some rigs are having (FT-897)?

It means SSB mode choosed, RX in SSB mode normally but when Key is activated (touched for CW sending) there is automatic shift of carrier and CW is transmitted (as in standard CW mode, SEMI or FULL-BK etc.) then going back to SSB mode for RX. Hope you understand :-)

This is very useful during UHF/SHF contests (with transverters) when calling CW CQ but takers are calling in SSB (mostly or very often). No need for switching mode (you have SSB all the time) and to touch dial knob to reply etc. Very comfortable and (I hope) not so serious for firmware. I know this is very special and on HF bands there is probably no reason for such function, my experience is based on serious contesting on higher bands (1296 and up).

This facility is essential on all VHF/UHF bands - and that categorically includes 50MHz.

VHF/UHF DXers switch freely between SSB and CW to deal with weak and fading signals. If someone calls CQ on SSB, but cannot copy your SSB reply, what you need is the ability to switch to CW and have your signal come up where the other station can hear it.

Yaesu rigs automatically shift frequency to do this, so what the other operator hears is your CW signal at the normal pitch that you have selected. Obviously the reverse applies too - when you switch back to SSB, the signal is very nearly tuned in.

Until recently, Icom rigs did not have this option - when you switch to CW, you'll be calling at zero-beat, fiddling with the XIT (which way???) and cursing Icom's name!

As Lexa says, this isn't difficult to provide as a firmware option, so please let's have it.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'