I went down to my local Shadio Rack and bought one of those ESD mats.  But
I can't convince myself that it works.  If I touch my meter probes to the
mat I measure infinity ohms, no matter how close together the two probes
are.  I know the meter works - If I hold one probe tip in each hand the
meter measures a few 10's of megohms.

Al N1AL