DW,

First, the 7808 will work, but the stock regulator is a low dropout type, so if you replace it with a 7808, the power supply voltage that will create proper operation will have to be a bit higher. That may make no difference if you are operating from a home station power supply, but if you are operating from a battery, the battery low voltage that will cause improper operation will be higher than with the low dropout regulator. I suggest requesting a replacement regulator from Elecraft - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The low 8 volt supply voltage will not cause an MCU failure - you have a different problem there. Check the component values and check the soldering. When you are finished, check the soldering.

73,
Don W3FPR

DW Holtman wrote:
Hello,

I posted this a few days ago. I will cut and paste here again.

""I'm in the middle of building a K2, S/N 6412.

While doing the Alignment and test Part 1, I had a couple of readings that were not in specs.

1. Page 48, Setting the AGC Threshold, the manuals calls for adjusting R-1 for a reading of 3.80VDC on pin 5 of U2. The highest R1 would adjust to is 3.60VDC.

2. Page 48 Bargraph Current test. The manual calls for a current reading of 0.16 to 0.18. My K2 reads 0.25 amps. That is quite a bit higher than what is called for.""

I received suggestions to check the voltage on the 8 volt regulator in the
control board. It is just as suggested, the voltage is almost 1/2 volt low.
Will a 7808 work? Is it the same as a LM2930T-8? They  both have the same NTE
cross reference and are available locally.

I finally got around to reassemble for alignment part II. Some times, when it
turns on, nothing happens, no display on the LCD, none of the controls do
anything. After I turn it off and on a couple of times, it starts working as it
is suppose to. This also happened in the first section for alignment where I
had the problems listed above, I thought it was the memory initializing. This
is not the case, it is still doing the same thing. Would the low 8 Volts cause
the MCU to hang up?

Thank you for your help.

Best,
DW Holtman