Phil,

There is no right or wrong way to do it - S-meter readings are arbitrary given the S-meter response set into a variety of 'competitors' transceivers . Take your pick and realize the consequences of your actions. If you calibrate it with the preamp off ( which is what I would suggest on 40 meters), then the S-meter will be a bit more 'lively' with the preamp on. This choice is merely a matter of reference. Bob Sherwood chose to set it with the preamp off, but you may like it better with the preamp on - the choice is yours - just remember which way you did it so you can interpret your S-meter readings appropriately.

73,
Don W3FPR

Phil & Debbie Salas wrote:
I see in the Yahoo K3 User's Group that Bob Sherwood just discussed filter performance with the K3 he has been testing. He commented that S9 at 50uV is with the preamp off. According to my manual, you should cal S9 at 50uV with the preamp on. I cal'd as stated in the manual, but I wonder if this is really the right way to do this. Comments?

Phil - AD5X