You have a LOT of company Paolo!

In recent years I have the feeling I have two quite different avocations.
One involves state-of-the-art, computer-controlled and software-defined
radios with all the "bells and whistles" that I can either operate or
agonize over whether the performance is within 0.0001 dB of being the best
in the world. Then there's my other hobby that involves throwing a switch
and waiting a bit for the filaments to reach operating temperature on
equipment I can operate if as long as I know how to adjust a panel filled
with knobs needed to get clean RF into the "aether": frequency, grid drive,
plate tuning, etc., and, of course, I have to receive using filters in my
head to suppress noise and hear through the other signals in the bandpass.

But, somehow, that's often far more fun and satisfying to do than have a
gang of cantankerous microprocessors and controllers doing it for me all
hidden behind a sleek new front panel with glowing liquid crystal displays!

In the same way I sometimes set aside this computer and sit down at my
drawing table with slide rule in hand and work out a circuit with pencil and
paper rather than run a SPICE simulator. Somehow that's more satisfying in a
sort of rough, hands-on way, too.

One bit of good news though. The worlds do overlap, just like intersecting
sets on a Venn diagram. My half-century old Bug and J-38 straight key work
quite well with the K3 or the K2, as well as on gear their own age, just as
some phone operators have discovered that half-century old Astatic D-104 mic
sounds great on a K3. And, truth to tell, I seldom engage a filter narrower
than 2 kHz even when operating CW so I can enjoy doing the copying instead
of letting the radio do it for me. Still, I admit I have turned on the CW
decode display on the K3: Gee...look at that. And felt the smug satisfaction
that I can still copy perfectly when it stumbles, especially when working a
fellow Ham using a manual key.

The K2 or K3 doesn't take up the space, weigh as much and can do a decent
job of simulating the sort of performance we got from the old gear. That's
handy at times.

Ron (Proud to be another Dinosaur in the "modern" Age) AC7AC