In a message dated 2/27/2008 9:54:12 A.M.  Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Well, I've convinced myself that  the Radio Shack portable ESD mat, P/N
276-2370 doesn't work  properly.

The "ESD Association" http://www.esda.org has promulgated  an
industry-standard test for ESD mats, ESD S4.1.  It is the  standard
specified by most commercial mats.  I decided not to spring for  the $70
to buy a copy of the standard, but other information I found on the  web
describes the test in general terms.  It uses two circular  electrodes,
each weighted with 5 pounds, spaced 10 inches apart on the  mat.  The
"Point to Point Resistance" is specified to be:

At  40-60% RH: 10^6 - 10^7 ohms
At 20-40% RH: 10^7 - 10^8 ohms
At 10-20% RH:  10^8 - 10^9 ohms

I don't know what the RH here in Santa Rosa was  yesterday when I did the
test, but I don't think it was very low since it has  been raining
recently and the ground is still damp.  For sure the  resistance
shouldn't be below 10^9 ohms (1 gigohm) and probably more like  10^8 or
10^7 (100 or 10 megohms).

I measured 2.5 x 10^10 ohms (25  gigohms), which puts the Radio Shack mat
way out of spec.

Test  procedure:

I didn't find a specification on the electrode size, but in  the photo of
a popular tester they look to be maybe 3 or 4 inches in  diameter.  For
my test, the electrodes were two saucepans, each about 7  inches in
diameter and weighted with 5 pounds.  They were spaced 10  inches apart
on the mat (3 inches edge-to-edge).  I connected a 0.1 uF  film capacitor
between the two pans and charged it to 15V with a power  supply.

I set my ancient Simpson analog volt-ohm meter to 60 uA  full scale.  If
I touch the leads across the capacitor immediately after  charging, the
needle momentarily jumps to about 6 uA (1/10 full scale) as  the
capacitor discharges through the meter.  If I wait half an hour  (1800
seconds) for the capacitor to partially discharge through the  mat
resistance, the needle jumps to about 3 uA.

An R-C network  discharges to 3/6 of original voltage in about 0.7 time
constant.  So  the time constant must be 1800/0.7 = 2571 seconds.  That
implies the mat  resistance is 2571 sec / 0.1 uF ~= 2.5 x 10^10 ohms.

Al  N1AL

Did the test standard you used tell you what the test device voltages  should
be. Also, most Static dissipative mats have a texture which can
significantly reduce the actual surface contact area affecting the readings
considerably.
 I still think the best way to test is to fabricate a simple  electrometer
and connect the sensor (after charging) to the surface through  contact. That
will tell you very quickly if it is working. Point to this is the  voltage of a
transistor amplified Ohmmeter is very low these days. A standard  VOM is
usually  1.5 volts and many FET DVM is much lower because they are  also used
test semiconductors and capacitors. ESD that is damaging is at  least a few
hundred volts. Most ESD workstations are certified to 1000 volts or  more.

Don't throw out the RS mat yet. The highest quality mil spec'd mats  may
cost you a lot more and not buy you anything. One big point - Mats do  age and
dry out becoming useless in a matter of a few years.

Al WA6VNN

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)