I have been extremely happy with the Pacific Antennas PAC-12 mini vertical. It's a kit that's easy to build, very light, breaks down to a very small bundle 12 inches long, and it's been very efficient. I worked VP6DX on 3 bands with it! Price is right as well. Easy enough to buy one just to throw into the car trunk and have for casual or emergency comms. BTW, I am using just the stock, simple 8-foot radials that come with the kit. Takes no time at all to set up. Just push it into reasonably soft ground, spread out the radials in an 8- foot radius, connect a 15-foot piece of RG-174 coax with BNC's on both ends, and start calling.

I'd much rather set this antenna up in a random campsite than string a wire antenna. Unless you're camping on concrete, you can always have the antenna feedpoint within a few feet of where you want to be sitting.

Very happy customer--I bought two of them, no financial interest other than that.

BTW, they have two versions that differ only in the loading coil. With one, you wind individual coils for each band that you swap out (60 seconds max). The second version has a single coil with a tap wire and clip that you move. My first purchase was the one with the individual coils, and that's the one I've been using most of the time. All the parts are identical and interchangeable otherwise.

Their website:
http://www.pacificantenna.com/

eHam reviews (including mine):
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4617