Ken,

That may or may not be an indication of a problem. Check the CAL CUR setting first - with the QRP K2 it should be set to 2.50 or higher - if you have the KPA100 it must be set to 3.50 or higher.

Due to the way the K2 power is controlled, a low power source voltage will cause a Hi Cur warning. The K2 will try to produce the requested power output, and if the supply voltage is low, more current must be drawn to produce the requested power output. You may want to check your power supply and its connections under the load presented during transmit.

If you have a combination of Hi Cur messages in combination with low power output, look for a problem in the Low Pass Filters or T4 of the base K2.

I believe the original intent of the Hi Cur message was to alert those who are operating on battery power that the battery current is being taxed and battery life may not be as long as expected.

Bottom line - it may or may not be an indicator of a problem - it all depends on your power source.

73,
Don W3FPR

Ken Kirkley/NO4D wrote:
When keying up my K2 in SSB at 10 watts I get a momentary flash of high
current. Is this a sign of a problem? Seems like there is a setting in the
menu in regards to this, but want to be sure before I do anything. The
transmit is fine, just the momentary flash of high current.

Thanks!
Ken/NO4D