What about the people who don't buy the second RX?  And even still its only
an idea to save time and would save time in the presence or absence of the
second RX.  Wouldn't you agree?

-----Original Message-----
From: David Ferrington, M0XDF [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2008 3:28 AM
To: Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy; Brett Howard
Cc: Crafters
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 Special Split Operation

Perhaps we should wait for the KRX3 to be available and then use it a
little, before asking for Split mods?

On 03/03/2008 11:01, "Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
sent:

> If Crossband Split mode is not an available feature, when working Split in
> the same band, and using your example, I would have thought that the band
> select control system could be used to tell the K3 that 225 means 7.225
MHz

> Sorry I don't know if the K3 can operate in Crossband Split mode (you stay
> here on 14.xxx and I'll call you on 50.xxx), but if it can and to carry on
> with your example, if the existing system wants all of the numbers when
> frequencies are entered (7.085 and 7.225), you would have to tell the K3
> stay on the same band when entering just 225 after entering 7.085.  If
> Crossband Split is available then I would have thought that there would be
> some form of 'Same Band Split - Crossband Split' control, not necessarily
> front panel control, which could be used just once to do that until
changing
> bands or going into Crossband Split mode. If that is true then after
> entering 7.085 for the first time it might also be possible to leave out
the
> 7 when entering the frequency for either of the VFOs thereafter when using
> Same Band Split, until changing bands or going into Crossband Split mode.
>
> .Anything to save time during a pileup is a very good idea IMHO :-)
>
> 73,
> Geoff
> GM4ESD
>

> Brett Howard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Monday, March 03, 2008 at
> 4:14 AM
>
>> Lets see if anyone has any opinions on this:
>>
>> How about the possibility of a special single band split mode.  After
>> doing a bit of playing on this latest contest I saw possible value in a
>> mode where direct entry automatically assumes you're going to stay on
>> the same band.
>>
>> So if you want to work split and the DX station says <my_call> listening
>> on 225 and you're on 7.085 and you're in this special mode.  Then you
>> could just switch to the other VFO and press enter 225 and then pop back
>> and be ready to rock and roll.  Not having to enter the 7 or the 00 at
>> the end could save you a bit of time.  There are times where its
>> something like 7.225.5 and for that one could possibly setup the RIT/XIT
>> knob to be able to pull that off in one detent.
>>
>> Not sure what button I'd implement this on but something in the area of
>> freq ent seems reasonable.  Would be nice if you could skip the freq ent
>> button in this mode too as that would make times even faster but would
>> make operation of the rest of the rig a bit of an annoyance.
>>
>> Sorry if my operation is a bit vague but I don't have a K3 so I'm having
>> to go just off of what I've read in the manual and of the operation of
>> my TS-450Sat.
>>
>> Thanks much for your insights gentlemen.
>>
>> ~Brett (KC7OTG)

Write the bad things that are done to you in the sand, but write the
good things that happen to you on a piece of marble. -Arabian wisdom