Yes I was refering to mobile operations , or parked up operating from a 4wd.
I have no experience of portable operations of the type you describe.
My idea of portable is my K2 on the balcony of a hotel overlooking a beach with my Ozzipole antenna on the balcony rail. No I'm not being sarcastic so please dont take it that way, I hate camping, temps over 40*c, flies, ants, bugs, warm beer.
Its just not me. I like the comforts of a king size bed and a bar fridge !
So please dont take me wrong, I was and still am referring to mobile from a vehicle, thats were the Outbacker does such a good job in the Australian Outback. Most other mobile whips just dont survive the conditions here, thats why the Police, Army etc use them. Very few camp sites here in Western Australia have room for or allow anything more than a tv antenna or small dish, and that coupled with exteme interference from cheap gen sets all but makes HF impossible. A friend lives more or less permanently in a mobile home and has to park illegally off road to use his HF gear . I wish you well with your portable operations and I'm sure your antenna system will work well based on what you have described.
vy 73
Keith

--
Keith VK6XH / VK6DXR Secretary Northern Corridor Radio Group Inc VK6ANC
Chairman WIA VK6 Advisory Committee.