One good source might be Ameritron. They are still selling 811 amplifiers and they could not do so if they didn't have working tubes (new) to put in them. They probably charge more than RF Parts because they have to quality check them. I hate to point out, anyone so ignorant that they are unaware you can buy new good tubes, may also be ignorant of how to tune and operate them. Don't overlook the possibility that the guy who started this thread may be wrong and RF Parts may be right.

All my life I've heard guys moan and groan about 811A's dying. I've had the same pair in my little home brew amp for 20 years and I pump them hard. 450W PEP on 80 meters, 400W CW. You just have to know how to take care of them.

Having said that, I must admit solid state is the future, and when the day comes that I can afford a solid state amp I will buy one.

TR, WB6TMY

From: "Brett Gazdzinski"
Subject: [Elecraft] Amplifier Vacuum Tubes

I would like to point out that there are loads of good tubes around,
many places have a lot of old US tubes, I use some 100TH tubes made in the
1950's,
and also have a pile of 811a, 812a, 813,s, 4-125, 4-400,etc.
No I dont want to sell any, but there are loads of good tubes around.
Unless overloaded, most tubes seem to keep working for a long time.

I would not get any tubes from China, Russian tubes are sometimes ok,
and the ones from Eastern Europe seem good, but best is old US tubes.

Brett