I had a gen that would give me 1mV and I found that it produced a signal
that was so wide there was no way to accurately zero up on it.  But if I
turned the output of my generator off I found that there was enough
cross talk across the output relay to generate a lot of signal into the
radio.  So its quite possible that you can pull this off.  Or if all
else fails just put a terminator on your generator and run a cable out
of it (just a single wire).  then you can run a wire into the rig and
you can then couple these wires more or less to vary the amount of
signal that you want/need.