IMHO, the real reason for a foot switch is timing. When running high
rates in a phone contest, you can't set the VOX delay and hang time
well enough to drop the PTT soon enough without chopping up in the
middle of speaking (or yelling, as it were).

With a foot switch, I can key, do the exchange, and drop the PTT
exactly as fast as I need to without relay switching, cut outs, etc..
If I tried to do it via VOX, the hangtime at the end would be wasting
time as well, not to mention making copy more difficult on the other
end, and shortening the life of amplifier relays, etc..

I think this is the case regardless of VOX implementation, the K3 has
nice VOX and all, but I still much prefer a foot switch for SSB
contesting.

For casual SSB ragchewing, VOX is just fine though.

-Jeff N6GQ