I second Brett's comments re the use of custom fitted in-ear monitors (IEMs)
for great isolation and sonic clarity.  Properly fitted, they are very
comfortable, provide about 25 dB of external isolation and you hear exactly
what your receiver is producing.

I do live sound monitor engineering on a weekly basis and have used a
variety of low, mid and high-end IEMs ($60-$500+) over the years.  The best
price/performance I've found so far is the Live Wires IEMs.  They are not
cheap ($249) but for the money (IMHO) there is nothing better.  You can
check them out here:
http://www.livewiresforyou.com/index.php Live Wires Site

-----
Chuck, AE4CW