And because you will be sending better code, it will be easier for folks to stay in a qso with you. A straight key was great advice when elmers were at hand to have initial qso's across town on home built rigs. If not, the paddles and a keyer (built into Elecraft rigs) helps you get the rhythm, and makes it easier to have a better qso. Once you know what the code is _supposed_ to sound like, picking up a straight key is a useful skill, and you will be better for it. Personally, it gives me too much trouble with my hands and wrists, and I do so enjoy my HexKey. The better I get at code, the more I enjoy it. But still have a long ways to go.

Dave Wilburn
K4DGW
K2/100 - S/N 5982

"For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Romanchik Dan wrote:
I agree with copying by ear, but not with starting with a hand key. Get a paddle and use a keyer (either internal or external). You'll send better code and it will be a lot less strain on your wrist and arm.

73!

Dan KB6NU
CW Geek and MI Affiliated Club Coordinator
Read my ham radio blog at http://www.kb6nu.com
LET'S GET MORE KIDS INTO HAM RADIO!