Keith -

If you're uncomfortable with the purchase, don't go through with it;
you'll end up resenting the radio on your desktop every time there's
another expense that you would had the money for, if only you hadn't
purchased the K3.

These radios will be available for a long time, although the prices
HAVE gone up.

Used ones will come on the market, and they won't always command a premium.

Hope this helps.

73,
Steve NN4X