n0jrn wrote:

> Hey gang:
>
> Just a quick question.         I've been reading the K2 manuals and have
> some minor confusion about the operation of the K2 using a power supply.
>
> Can I operate the rig via a power supply with the internal
> battery switch turned on???
>
> Just want to be sure I'm not going to hurt something.  :-)
>
> Manuals say I can charge the internal battery from a power supply with the
> battery switch in either position.
>
> Just curious if I need to use caution while operating.
>
> Thanks and 72:
>
> Jerry         N0JRN

This is stated in the KBT2 manual:

"CAUTION: If you connect an external battery or a power supply of other than
14.0 V to the K2, you must disable the internal battery using the battery
on/off switch. Otherwise, the external battery or low-voltage supply will
charge the internal battery to an inadequate voltage, greatly reducing the
internal battery’s life."

Not sure whether the reason given is entirely correct, but in essence if
your external supply is 14V or so you can use the K2 with the rear switch in
the ON position, which is the normal charging condition. If you have a lower
voltage supply you cannot - I suspect what happens there is that the
internal battery tries to discharge through your external supply.

You need the rear battery switch in the ON position to charge the battery,
it is in series with it. The manual is referring to the front power switch -
have it on if you are using the K2, off if you are just charging.

Came across this last night. I am checking out a second hand K2 for a
friend. The K2/100 lid was fitted, the QRP lid with the battery had been
sitting idle for a while and its battery was down to 11V. Something for
those of you with both lids to keep an eye on!

73 Dave G3YMC