While the impact on a receiver might cause "clicks" to be heard, that's a
failing of the receiver, not the transmitter.

The real issue about the CW keying waveform is the production of sidebands
around the CW signal at the transmitter. All amplitude-modulated signals,
which CW is one type, have sidebands. The only way to prevent them entirely
is to not modulate the signal. Since the rate of the modulation is much less
with CW than it is with a spectrum of voice covering, say, 300 to 3000 Hz,
the sidebands produced by CW keying are much, much smaller than those
produced by voice modulation.

But that doesn't mean the sidebands produced by CW keying can be ignored,
especially in today's world of very selective receivers that allow signals
to be much closer to each other than in the past.

Without the sidebands, the CW would be unreadable. It's a question of how
wide the sidebands must be and how the energy is distributed in them to
produce an easy-to-copy signal that is not wider than necessary.

"Easy-to-copy" is a value judgment. There are no absolute values.

Exotic computer-controlled keying circuits with linear RF amplifiers have
given designers the ability to control the keying waveform and the energy
distribution in the sidebands to a degree never contemplated only a few
years ago.

But the underlying question is unchanged: what is the best tradeoff between
bandwidth and readability of a CW signal?

It's still a judgment call.

Ron AC7AC