In crowded band conditions, narrow filtering is often helpful.  In
particular, for SSB contests, a receive bandwidth of 1500-1800Hz is very
effective.  For me, 1500Hz (300-1800Hz) works great on the K3.  There is no
intelligibility above 1800Hz that is useful in a contest QSO.  If you think
200-2000Hz is easier to copy (1.8kHz bandwidth), then use that.  But there
is no reason to use a 2.7 or 2.8kHz filter in a contest and letting in
another kHz or so of QRM.

Depending on preference some people like to narrow their SSB bandwidth by
using a combination of WIDTH and SHIFT.  I prefer to simply reduce HI CUT
because the high audio frequencies (2000-3000Hz) are the least useful in
contest communication.  So, it is a simple one-knob adjustment to narrow the
SSB bandwidth on receive.

You can select these narrow bandwidths with the K3 DSP and the stock 2.7kHz
crystal filter.  You don't need narrow crystal filters unless you also want
protection from splatter and signal components from nearby strong signals
that fall between the bandwidth of the 2.7kHz filter and whatever narrower
crystal filter, e.g., 1.8kHz, you might use.

73,
Ed - W0YK