I have just installed the KAT3 and it seems to be working, however, i can only get a SWR of 4.0 on the K3 on my 40M end fed antenna. I know the SWR with this antenna is very high, but I can get the SWR down to 2.5 with my K2 ATU. The K2 is using ALT tune to get there taking a long time. I can understand that this could be a matter of chance, since the tuners use discrete components, rather than adjustable ones. I don't find much info on the KAT3 in the Installation Instructions or the K3 Owner's Manual. Sheet 3 of the KAT3 Installation Manual, Introduction, says "Complete details for using the KAT3 are included in the KXV3 Owner's manual." I can't find a KXV3 Owner's Manual on the Elecraft site, only the Installation Instructions and I don't have a KXV3. Do I need a KXV3 to use my KAT3? Does the KAT3 have the equivalent of ALT tune on the K2? The KAT3 seems to give up after a few seconds, while the K2 tries real hard to get a good match. I can prune my end fed antenna but I may be missing something here and would like to know.

Thanks and 73
Rick Dettinger
K7MW