I live on a city lot with lots of electrical noise. For this reason good noise reduction features are important if I want to be on the air. The thing that made me order my K3 last summer was the fact that the noise blanker in the IC-746PRO would work just fine until a strong station such as W1AW would come on than 15 khz of the band would become worthless because W1AW would key the noise blanker on and off.

I bought my K3 with the 500 hz filter and noticed with the noise blanker on and the 2.7 khz filter I saw a less serious problem similar to the one in my 746 pro over the 2.7 khz of the filter. If I went to the 500 hz filter the problem only covered 500 hz. I ordered the 200 hz filter and now can get to within 200 hz of W1AW with the noise blanker on before I see the problem. I feel this is wonderful and sure makes it possible for me to have many more QSOs. If I do not need to run the noise blanker than I do not see the problem even with the 2.7 khz filter. My Hy-Gain Hy-Tower always got out well for me but I could not use it most of the time due to the high noise level. Now with the K3, the two noise blankers, the noise reduction and the 50 hz IF DSP filter plus the 500hz and 200 hz roofing filters I feel as though I am getting the use out of the Hy-Tower that I had always wanted. I also set the pitch on the K3 to 300 hz to get maximum help from my ears.

I just thought I would pass this along as several people have asked about the narrow roofing filters and if there is line noise involved I feel it makes a big difference.
73

Ken  W0CZ