On Apr 4, 2008, at 12:20 PM, Craig D. Smith wrote:

In my opinion the difficulty in making the choice is because of the pricing structure adapted by Elecraft for this option. If the filters were sold "ala carte", and you needed to buy the 2.7 or 2.8 in addition to the K3 (or sub receiver), I'm guessing that most people, including me, would elect to
pay $120 for the 2.8 rather than $100 for the 2.7.

I think that Elecraft wanted to sell a working radio for the base price. That is the way that I ordered my K3 and it has worked very well. I am a CW only operator and I would never have considered ordering any rig without a 500 hz filter, in years gone by. For my use, since I am not a contest operator and run from pileups, I found the 2.7 khz filter just fine with the bandwidth set at CW widths. I have since ordered the 6 khz, 1 khz and 500 hz filters, just because. Also, the general coverage filter board because I didn't have a good general coverage receiver. I have read discussions on other reflectors involving the concept that under heavy QRN conditions, filters characterized as having steep skirts, with the resulting sharp shoulders, cause mixing products with the desired signal, and that the result is unpleasant to listen to when QRM is not a problem. For the operating I do, especially on the lower frequencies, QRN is usually the problem. I seldom have to deal with QRM over S9 and have decided to go with the 5 pole filters where they are available. But I am also fine with the 8 pole, 1 khz filter to experiment with. This seems to be my go to filter on CW these days but I will be comparing both. With a strong interfering signal close by, I can use the 1 khz filter, with its steeper skirts, along with shift, to eliminate the QRM. The shift seems to change the center of the passband in 50 hz steps. I usually have to fine tune with VFO A after getting close with the shift control. Not a problem, as I am always working split, since I prefer that to RIT.

73
Rick Dettinger
K7MW