At 09:14 AM 4/7/2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote...
Considering these are used for carrying polarized power signals, why
do you want/require that they be "genderless?"

Convenience and flexibility.

That's a non-response, since it implies that alternatives aren't. I believe that most hams find UHF and BNC connectors to be convenient and flexible, and they're gendered. Given all the argument around crimp vs. solder on powerpoles, I might grant you flexibility, but not convenience :-)

As radio amateurs, I'd hope we'd know a little about what we are doing.

That's a very poor assumption, given the types of questions I've heard asked by licensees.

We use the same RF connectors (although gendered) for everything from the legal limit of power down to receiver inputs; make a mistake and the results can be very unpleasant. Is 12 volts somehow more dangerous?

You've apparently never seen the results of a lithium battery explosion/fire. It's more than "unpleasant."

The problem is that with adapters it's just as easy to make such mistakes.

No, and saying that doesn't make it true. It should be obviously clear that a system which allows anything to plug into anything else is also the easiest one to make a mistake with.

There's also the advantage of a universal standard

It's not a universal standard. At best, it's a standard for one group in one country within ham radio (ARES/RACES). It's not used by the big 3, and given the number of questions here from people who are new to the connectors, it's quite far from a standard in the general ham community.