Question for those users/designers of the K3 sub receiver and split capabilities:

Refering to manual version C1.November 18, 2007, page 35:

The discussion about using split mode with the "sub" is confusing.

Let me explain what I think the manual is saying and if it's incorrect let me know:

In split I receive with the main receiver on VFO A, and transmit on VFO B.

When the sub is on, I can receive on VFO_sub. Does the sub have a VFO label during split? What is the label of this "VFO_sub" ?

So in split, to review: I am listening on VFO_A, Transmitting on VFO_B and listening also on VFO_sub ?

Is there a capability in the K3 to make the frequency for VFO_sub follow and be the same as whatever frequency is set on VFO_B and vice versa (VFO_B tracks and is set to whatever VFO_sub is set to). By follow, I define that as when I set VFO_sub, the VFO_B is set to be the same. And by vice versa, I define that as when I set VFO_B, the VFO_sub is set to be the same.

The problem I see (or made up) is that I see the benefit of having VFO_sub to listen to the pile up in split, but without a coupling of VFO_sub and VFO_B then it would require setting both the Tx VFO_B and VFO_sub.

The use case scenario:

Go split
Turn on sub
Set VFO_A to a frequency of the DX transmitter
Set VFO_sub to a frequency of  VFO_A (for reference)
Listening to the DX, you learn the approximate frequency to Transmit on.
Set VFO_B to that frequency
Set VFO_sub to VFO_B frequency (manually?)

Now as I listen to the DX on VFO_A for adjustments to his listening frequency, I adjust VFO_sub .. When I find the frequency DX is listening on, I'm ready to transmit but then I'll have to re-adjust VFO_B to match the frequency I want to transmit on based on my scan of VFO_sub..

What am I missing here?  Are VFO_B and VFO_sub coupled in any way?

If they're not coupled in firmware for their frequency assignment, then I can see (or made up) a problem of having to track the best frequency to set VFO_B and setting VFO_sub. I'll be setting one to listen where to make my transmission and it would be great if the VFO_B was ready. The way I read this manual, it sounds like I have the benefit of listening to VFO_B prior to transmitting via listening to VFO_sub, however the macination of setting VFO_sub to find the right frequency is half the work: I also have to re-set VFO_B before I transmit.

-jeff
K3 and goodies ordered January.