John Harper wrote:

My main antenna will be an 80m dipole fed with 450-ohm ladder line (for use on 20 & 40m with tuner) that I want to compare with a camera tripod-mounted hamstick on 20 and 40 meters. I already have an idea how they will compare - the only reason for the test is that I have a camping spot in mind for some time in the future where there are no "organic supports" for a dipole and any radio operation will necessitate a small vertical as described. I just want to know how much more poorly the vertical will be. I plan to have four 33' radials for it. The dipole will be up about 40 feet & the rig will be a KX1.

I suggest that you try something like 16 radials of, say, 8 or 10 feet (somewhere there is a table of the optimum number/size of radials for a given length of wire).

If the radials are on the ground, a large number of short ones is better than a few long ones.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco