I am trying to do my first firmware upgrade of the K3 but am
unsuccessful at getting it installed.

I am using the USB to 9 pin rig cable.  I downloaded the Elecraft K3
Utility last night plus I've downloaded the latest drivers from the
Prolific website.  While I was successful getting the Elecraft K3
firmware onto my computer, I am not able to get it onto the K3.  I
have listed some things that may help someone understand where I am
stuck at and help me get the firmware onto my K3.   I apologize for
this being so long, but I'd rather not leave anything important out so
someone can recognize what's missing.

Per the instructions in Elecraft KUSB USB to Serial Adapter looking in
Device Manager and then under Ports, the Prolific USB to Serial Comm
Port is COM 5

The DRIVER Tab for the Prolific USB to Serial Comm Port Properties
says that I have the latest version 2.0.2.8

Under Port Settings of the same Comm Port Properties this is what it says -
Bits per second        9600
Data Bits        8
Parity            None
Stop Bits        1
Flow Control        None

If I click the ADVANCED Tab in the above, it lets me change the Com
Port #.It is still at 5 right now - the default.

On the K3, going to CONFIG then FW REVS sub menu it says my CURRENT
FIRMWARE installed is 01.69.

When I used the Elecraft K3 Utility to get firmware from the Elecraft
website the first time it downloaded 7 files onto my computer.  Then I
tried it later and it said it copied 1 file from Elecraft.

Also on the K3 Utility it stated, "K3 Boot Loader is ready for MCU
Firmware load, RS232 38400 bps" I got this message twice in a row.

I am still getting the message
"MCU programming failed.  Verify file source and version"
 "Turn the K3 off and back on, then re-try the firmware load"

Looking at the PORT tab of the K3 Utility and doing a test
communications for Port 5 - which is the port that the Prolific driver
says it's using I get - "K3 is running main program, RS232 4800 bps"
 If I try port 4 I get " K3 boot loader is ready for MCU firmware
load. RS232 38400 bps."

Because of the two BPS rates above and the different BPS rate for the
Prolific USB driver, should I change my bps in my driver settings or
elsewhere?  Also, I haven't saved any configurations in the K3 Utility
software. Should I, once I get things working?

So it looks like I keep running into the same stumbling block, I feel
like a bit of a thick head that I don't know why this isn't working.
I would appreciate help in getting the firmware installed on the K3.

Thanks,

Rem
K 6 B B Q