DOUGLAS ZWIEBEL wrote:

It never ceases to
amaze me how I can call some "gnat" signal which would normally be
covered by a loud, close station unless I used a narrow filter, and
the guy will return my call.  Clearly, he is not hearing the "loud"
guy as loudly as I am (if at all)...and he must also be wondering why
he isn't getting a lot more calls.  :-)

This phenomenon is even more prevalent during 6m contesting (sporadic-E) than it is on HF. This is because sporadic-E (Es) tends to have a footprint defined quite closely by the location of the Es cloud, the height of the cloud, and the ionization intensity of the cloud. If the band is open from Albuquerque into Alabama and Georgia, those guys may also be hearing guys in Nebraska and South Dakota via another Es cloud. But because there is no Es cloud between me and Nebraska/South Dakota, I don't hear those guys at all. All I hear are the guys in Alabama and Georgia. I might be getting clobbered by some guy in Nebraska running stacked 11s, but I'll never hear him. To me, the frequency sounds completely clear except for the guys I'm trying to work.

This is just one of the many interesting little idiosyncrasies that make 6-meter contesting such a hoot. :-)

Bill W5WVO

My initial reaction to suggestion about using SSB filter for cw was
that "wide" must be 2.7 or 2.8khz, which is just too wide for me
unless you're on a very quiet (meaning the opposite of crowded) band.
To me, a wide filter is lets in too much "noise" which is what I find
to be fatiguing (different strokes, apparently).

Now we learn that even 2.8khz is not wide enough on cw for some.  Go
figure.   Each to his own.

I'm glad that the K3 can ostensibly accommodate everybody.

de Doug KR2Q