-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ian Stirling
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2008 1:49 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] simple iambic paddle

On Thursday 24 April 2008 12:39:01 pm Brian Lloyd wrote:

> Does anyone have a design for a very simple iambic key that can be
> made with simple materials and hand tools?

  I made one when I built The Ultimate Keyer Mk2 by G3RVM in the
February 1980 issue of Radio Communication.
I used two thin strips of copper clad board. Mine was double sided but
singe sided is all that's needed.
I sawed a small diecast box to get two nice right angle brackets and
screwed them on the base of the main diecast box where I had the
electronics. The PCB strips came out the front of the box separated
about half an inch.
I used stick-on rubber feet as the thumb abd finger contacts.
  For the switch contacts, I drilled quarter inch staggered holes in the
PCBs and using the other two corners of the cut box, mounted them
outside the PCBs with a long screw going through each PCB hole.  So the
mounts for the screws are both outside the strips.  The PCB strips were
nicely springy and I adjusted the screws to a very fine touch.
  I bought a Bencher paddle soon afterwards.
I have no idea why I dismantled my own paddles; I remember their being
just as good as the Bencher.

Ian, G4ICV, AB2GR, K2 #4962