First, I'm delighted with the whole K3 experience. It's a brilliant product, worth the wait.

I have a few issues and suggestions:

1. Several times I found myself doing a complex assembly step in my hands while reading the instructions. An important point would show up late in the paragraph, and I wished I had read it all first (but I couldn't resist). If important points were emphasized in BOLD print, I would have been more likely to read them first.

2. The final multi-plugging of the front panel was the only challenge I experienced. I knew it would be tricky, after reading about it in the reflector. Because I knew this, I took extra time and did it with confidence. Had I NOT known it was tricky, I would have felt clumsy and frustrated. I suggest noting in the instructions that this IS a tricky step and if the builder is getting tired, take a break first, and take it SLOW.

3. VFO A encoder uses an inside-tooth lock washer on each side of its mount. This caused mine to come out slightly off-90° when tightened (using a box-end wrench). I noticed it only when I mounted the knob with the felt washer and it rubbed on one side. I spaced it out slightly further with cardboard. It's OK, but this could have been avoided somehow.

4. Headphone jack on front panel isn't tight enough. Instructions are to tighten the ring-nut only finger-tight. I have pretty strong fingers, but that doesn't do the trick. If I use a hex-nut, will it squeeze the panel too much?

5. K3 is advertised as a no-solder kit, so it should not require soldering (or a $100 crimp tool) to make the Powerpole connection. That should be done at the factory.

I soldered mine, using high temp. quickly, so it wouldn't wick much solder up the cable. A builder who does not have good soldering skills is likely to have trouble.

6. KUSB adapter instructions make no mention of Mac application. They should mention that the Prolific.com site has driver download for Mac OSX as well as other PCs, and that it is necessary.

7. When I turn down the compression, the power goes down with it. It should be equalized.

8. When I tune out of a ham band to listen elsewhere, then hit band switch, band switch will not return to the nearby ham band, but to the out-of-band frequency. Others reported this a few days ago. I expect that will get fixed in firmware.

9. I did frequency calibration by zero-beat method with WWV. I tuned the wrong way and didn't know it would take many turns. I didn't write down the original setting, so I got "lost". I waited until I had a steadier WWV signal, then went in the other direction and got it perfect. I suggest that the instructions say that it may take many turns of the knob, and that you should write down the original setting first.

In conclusion, the only issue I'm left with is the loose headphone jack. Not too bad!

I have a Kenwood MC-43S fist mike with the 8-pin connector standard. I plugged it in and it works fine. My first QSO was with another K3 at the super-station in Visalia :-) I also checked into the Sunday Elecraft SSB Net. I've gotten all excellent audio reports.

I just retired my Ten Tec Triton IV. I feel like Rip Van Winkle, awaking from the 1970's.