David and All,

Elecraft has stated that the K2 is an ongoing product and not replaced by the
K3. I have a considerable investment in my K2 and would like to believe
Elecraft when they state that they will continue to develop it. This is one
of the things that has separated Elecraft from the rest of the manufacturers
who will develop a rig to a certain point then discontinue it and replace it
with a new model.

Certainly the K3 is a more flexible radio and has a much greater potential for
a multitude of features. To me it would be very sad, if Elecraft only devoted
their engineering efforts on the K3. I can see where getting the announced
features working would be a priority, but K3 further enhancements should be
scheduled to at least allow for some development on the rest of their product
line.

There are many things that can still be done in the K2. First in my mind is to
fix the synthesizer clicks every 5 Khz when tuning in the presence of a
strong signal. I know this is a difficult one, but I feel it is a glaring
problem in an otherwise excellent receiver.

The K2 manual on page 6 states that "Other CW and SSB fixed crystal filter
options may be available." It would be nice to have more fixed crystal filter
options available. I would like to be able to add a 1.8 KHz fixed crystal
filter. Yes, the variable CW filter can be set to that bandwidth, but it has
considerable ripple at 1.8 KHz.

The noise blanker and VOX could be greatly improved. In the past there were
discussions that a high performance noise blanker could be developed. The
downside was that it would use mostly SMD components and not be in step with
the through-hole design philosophy of the K2. Most people were willing to
accept the deviation from the philosophy for the added performance.

Flatter 160 meter bandpass filter characteristics, less harmonics in the
sidetone, or built in digital mode interfaces are more examples.

There is also a list of firmware feature enhancements that have been asked for
over the years. I would love to see a menu option to delete the reverse
sideband selection from the mode button rotation. The CW RV key already
switches between USB and LSB, so not having to step through an unused mode
with the mode key would be welcome. Or a selectable range for the Keyer pot.

I would also like to see the KRC2 to be configurable to operate or release a
relay for things like ANT 1/2, TUNE, and PRE/ATT.

Also many of us have done considerable mods on our K2's, but we are limited by
the firmware. With active firmware development more mods could be supported.

I would love to see Elecraft open source the firmware, as it would allow
independent development of new features and hardware mods. This would really
allow the K2 to become an experimenters rig. I really have a hard time
believing that open sourcing the K2 firmware would give away all of
Elecraft's secrets or cause them financial loss. I would expect it would
increase sales as more experimenters would be attracted to the rig.

If Elecraft can't be persuaded to open source the K2 firmware, and have no
time to further develop it, another solution is to grant a licence to a few
independent developers. Like the Giehl and N4PY chips for some Ten-Tec rigs,
or the DSWK chip for the Small Wonder Labs DSW and DSW-II transceivers.

Like those waiting for K3's, I too hope that Elecraft catches up very soon so
that they can further develop existing products and bring new ones to market.

73,
Darrell  VA7TO  K2 #5093

--
Darrell Bellerive