No need to be embarrassed Chris, the same thing happened to me.
I found that things got screwed up with the microkeyer router
software which had set the virtual com port at 9.6k instead of
38.4k.

I then used a proper RS232 port and lead, and all went well.

To get in a good state, remove the power from the K3, and then
hold the Power button for 10 secs. The TX light should come on,
and the display show MCU LD. It will then be receptive to another
upload attempt.

73
Stewart G3RXQ