From: Dick Roth KA1OZ [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2008 6:04 PM
To: Greg; Elecraft Reflector
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ERR VCO Problem Activity Log

Greg wrote:
> Dick.  Any luck on this yet?  If not, you may need to adjust the
> spacking of the L1 winding on the SYN board that is attached to the DSP
> shield.  If that's the case, when we hear back (please use reply all)
> and Gary or I will send you exactly what to do.
>
> Greg
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dick Roth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

{snip}

:24:14 DSP1 verification succeeded
>> 19:24:14 DSP1 firmware load is complete
>> 19:24:14 Setting K3 RS-232 to 4800 bits per second
>> 19:24:15 Elapsed time: 273 seconds
>> 19:24:15 Ready
>>
>> There you go!
>>
>> 73,
>> Dick ka1oz
>>

>> --
>> Release Date: 5/5/2008 5:11 PM

Until yesterday morning, I hadn't gotten past the VCO test.  It was
consistent with the following error messages:

E 00005
ERR VCO

E 00255
ERR VC4

I ran the test this morning with no error message, however instead of
clicking along at a very good clip, it began with the word "busy" and
then a slow count up to cal 127 and then to frequency readout normally.
  I can now hear traffic (net on 3.905 mc)!

Well then I got home this evening and found the K3 doa.  When I push the
"Power" button, there's a bit of a draw on the power supply and I hear a
relay clicking, but the front panel will not light and no functions are
available. I tried going through the Theory in the manual and scoured
the schemagics, but can't figure out the power distribution architecture.

This bums me out since I finally got the REF and SYN to play nice and I
was getting into listening to ssb net traffic (and the ball game).

I have a call in to Aptos, but they're on the other coast and I think
they probably went home (if they have any sense).  Does anyone on the
list have any ideas?

ttfn &
Dick ka1oz
Middleborough, MA