Brian,

Have you considered something like the YO-YO tenna?
www.hamradiofun.com/yoyodeluxe.html

They are very nice and compact dipole antenna and can be made to
resonant length by only spooling out the correct amount of wire that you
need for the particular band you want to work.  Hoist it up in a coconut
tree as high as you can get it and I think you'd be better off then with
the buddipole at ground level.

73 Matt
w5LL