The status of copyright on open sites on the Web are a good question. The old
(prior to Internet) rule was easy.... any work given away to the public lost
its copyright protection. Example: a poet hands out copies of his poetry to
public on a street corner. He loses his copyright then and there. I think the
same applies to open sites where all the material is offered "free" to the
public... that is, no payment back to the originator. The attachment of the C
in a circle and the correct words of Copyright, name, and date, may provide
some protection, but even then the excerpt taken must be substantial and not
trivial (usually determined by shortness or length of excerpt). Citation of the
original in short bits of the original likely also cover the possibly offending
user. Basically, anything on the Web in open public sites can be used with very
small danger of legal action against the copier-person. Further, the original
owner must often prove MEASURABLE damages from the copying.... not easy in many
cases. Consult your lawyer. 73 Charles Harpole [EMAIL PROTECTED] Charles [EMAIL
PROTECTED] > Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 18:05:44 -0400> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Copyright images used on YouTube
"The Elecraft Band" without permission> CC: elecraft@mailman.qth.net> > Shame!>
> And he even missed two of the better images I've seen- the one on the> wall
of Bush House, and the one from N8S.> > How many of you know where the two
beach house photos near the end> were taken? Have been there? Have operated
from there?> > 73, doug> > Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 22:35:10 +0100> From: Dave
G4AON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> > There are two videos currently on YouTube which
use a sequence of > Elecraft related still images taken from various web sites.
Some are > from my site and used without permission.> > Other web site owners
may wish to check out "The Elecraft Band" and "The > Elecraft Band II" by LU1DZ
on YouTube:> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adAlnXZlheA>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UI9fiGNXxg> > 73 Dave, G4AON>