I think that you have the answer to the riddle Ian.  9
megacycle filters were not available until about 1960
with the second generation of transceivers.  By the
time of Galaxy 3 and 5, NCX-5, Swan 350, etc the need
for the USB/LSB selection was passed, but we stayed
with the tradition.

I have seen some remarks that would indicate that the
Elecraft is unique in being able to select the
sideband, but I have not had a transceiver that would
not.  Even back to the Hammarlund HX-50, if I remember
correctly one could select the sideband.  I know on
the two transceivers I have in the shack, Kwd TS-850
and Yaesu FT-900 when you select SSB it puts you on
the preferred sideband, but if you press the button
again it puts you on the other sideband.

Cookie, K5EWJ

--- Ian White GM3SEK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> WILLIS COOKE wrote:
> >It does not give the same sideband on 80 and 20.
> You also have to
> >consider that the rotation of the tuning capacitor
> of the VFO turns the
> >opposite direction for 20 as it does  for 80.
>
> The direction of tuning is not what inverts the
> sideband.
>
> The only thing that inverts the sideband is if the
> SSB frequency is
> subtracted in the mixing process. So:
>
> 9MHz USB + 5MHz VFO = 14MHz USB
>
> 9MHz USB - 5MHz VFO = 4MHz USB - sideband is not
> inverted.
>
> But in Norgaard's 'New Approach to SBB Generation'
> in QST, June 1948,
> the SSB is generated on 5MHz and the VFO is around
> 9MHz, so:
>
> 9MHz VFO + 5MHz USB = 14MHz USB
>
> 9MHz VFO minus 5MHz USB = 4MHz **LSB** - now the
> sideband is inverted.
>
> If anyone is still in doubt about this, words aren't
> going to help any
> more. Please take a few minutes with a pencil and a
> calculator, punch in
> some numbers and verify it for yourself.
>

> --
>
> 73 from Ian GM3SEK         'In Practice' columnist
> for RadCom (RSGB)
> http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ